1. Name the four food groups.
a. Collect pictures from each of these food groups.
b. Use your pictures to make a collage or poster to be displayed
at your club, school or church.
2. Describe a complete, balanced daily menu.
Compose a complete dinner menu.
3. Help prepare, serve, and clean up a four-course dinner.
4. Make two different kinds of sandwiches.
5. Prepare two different salads.
6. Help to prepare and pack a picnic lunch.
a. Include foods from the four food groups.
b. Share this picnic with family or friends.
1. Vegetable-fruit group: Citrus, tomatoes, peppers, melons, cabbage, berries, dark-green or deep-yellow vegetables, potatoes, etc.
Bread-cereal group: Breads, cereals and other grain products made from whole, enriched or restored grains.
Protein group: Dried beans, dried peas, lentils, garbanzos, nuts, peanuts, peanut butter, eggs, soy cheese, and vegetable proteins.
Milk group: Whole, evaporated, or skim milk, reconstituted dry milk, buttermilk, soybean milk, cottage cheese, yogurt.
Resources: Magazines and seed catalogs
2. a. Vegetable-fruit group: four
or more servings daily
Bread-cereal group: four or more servings daily
Protein group: two or more servings daily
Milk group: children need three to four cups, adults need two or more daily
b. Dinner Menu: Soup, salad, entree, vegetables and dessert.
3. This dinner can be the result of requirement #2. Helping make the dinner and clean up are fun experiences. Give a special hug to the child.
4. Make two sandwich fillings or use prepared items such as jam, peanut butter, etc.
5. Make a simple relish tray and/or a tossed or jelled salad. Encourage creativity.
6. Prepare a picnic lunch and go on that picnic with your group, even if it is just under a tree on the church lawn.
Betty Crocker’s New Boys and Girls Cookbook, Golden Press, New York, or other children’s cookbooks.
Wiki Teacher Helps:
Note: There are tons of teaching tips and ideas that are part of the Sunbeam Program Guide.
The Sunbeam Leaders' Program is available from AdventSource:
The Sunbeam Activity Book is available from AdventSource:
Sunbeam Order page at AdventSource